Friday, November 23, 2012

Best Day in Mozambique So Far! And, a Prayer Request!

Thursday, October 25th 2012

Thursday afternoon.  I think I heard that it is the 25th, but I am not sure.

I have had such a great week so far!  Monday I went to the hospital to visit and pray with people.  One of the boys that I met here got into an accident and is now in the hospital; so I went first to visit and pray for him.  He was happy to see me, I believe, and I was very happy to see him!  I really wanted to visit him earlier but I am not allowed to leave the base unless there are three of us going.  :0(  It is probably a good rule for my safety because I know I would just leave and go on my own!

The hospital was the cleanest one that I have been to outside of the US.  Well, I have only been to two others [outside the US], so maybe it's not a great comparison - but still, I was impressed.  I greatly enjoyed my few hours there visiting and praying with people.  I honestly received much joy from being there and interacting with the patients and their friends and family.  Because I was in the post-surgery room, there were many different ages of patients in the room, though they were all male.  We prayed with a little boy about 3 or 4 all the way up to an older man.  I know I said this, but I got such joy out of just loving the people!  Next time I go in, I plan on taking some sweets.  :0)

Yesterday, Wednesday, I went into town just with a couple of my roomies and a Mozambican friend.  I know I am not so great with words and explaining things is not my gift, so I just want you to know as you read my little story of yesterday that it was one of my best, if not the best day, that I have had so far here in Mozambique.

It started out as normal as any other day, taking a trip into town to visit my friend in the hospital and get some veggies at the market, maybe a little ice cream, and just enjoy the day.

Being that I have been to the hospital earlier, I knew where it was; but our wonderful Mozambican brother took us the scenic route.  He took us all along the ride so we could see the ocean.  It was so beautiful!  He then showed us a place to buy chickens for dinner (though there are places all through the villages where you can get live chickens to eat), and took us back to the hospital.  So apparently there are visiting hours, which I did not know, so I just go walking in to see my friend.  :0)  But we were soon told to leave because it was not visiting hours.  But we got to talk with friend for about five minutes before we were shown the door.  Ha ha, it was funny.

Once we got our ice cream and cokes, we headed to the veggie market.  But when we arrived our wonderful guide said he could show us another place that was cheaper,  And of course I was up for it (though I was not buying anything, I always love going to new places).  He ended up taking us to the real Mozambican market, where the locals shop.  It was amazing!!!!!  I LOVED IT!!!!  I was in heaven, I thought!  Ha ha ha!  There were so many barakas with everything from clothes, to ice cream, to car parts, to veggies ... It was so big!!!  So many little stands.  :0)  I just walked through in amazement.  I received many marriage proposals then!  Our guide just laughed and thought it was so funny!  The word wife sounds like how they say America, so at first we just thought they were asking if we were from America so we said, "Yes, we are from America."  Ha ha ha!! I don't know how we left without being married!  Ha ha ha now that I have been there I really want to go back and honestly don't think I want to shop anyplace else.  The only problem is that I am not sure how to get back.  I know the area in which it is and I am sure I could find it by wandering around, but there are so many little pathways that we took to get there and back I know I would be lost at least for a bit.

After we were done with our shopping, we walked back to Iris base through the village (we took a bus there).  This again was so great!  Just walking through all the villages and greeting everyone.  Always hearing "Akoonya, akoonya!" said with lots of excitement.  They want you to greet them and wave, and not just the kids or the men but the women as well.  They would just laugh and smile real big when we spoke to them in their language.  I cannot say it enough:  I loved it!!!

When we got back, I told our wonderful guide that I felt like it was Christmas day, and he just gave me the best gift ever!!! It truly was a great, great day!!!!

And i just want to note that our Mozambican brother did not go to town with us as our guide.  I was talking to him right before we left and he asked to come along, and I said of course!!!  He just ended up being out amazingly wonderful guide!  Again, I said this earlier, but this truly was one of my best days here in Mozambique so far!  I greatly love getting to know the people and living with them!

This is a little side note but I originally signed up to do the ten day bush-bush outreach in December, but I am not thinking I may just live in the village with one of the families for ten days.  Anyways, you could be in prayer with me for that if you would like.

Blessings, blessings, blessings on my dear family and friends!!!

Esther

No comments:

Post a Comment